In The Forest Of The Night
25 October 2014
Samuel Jackson (Danny Pink), Abigail Eames (Maebh), Jaydon Harris-Wallace (Samson), Ashley Foster (Bradley), Harley Bird (Ruby), Michelle Gomez (Missy), Siwan Morris (Maebh’s Mum), Harry Dickman (George), James Weber Brown (Minister), Michelle Asante (Neighbour) , Curtis Flowers (Emergency Services Officer), Jenny Hill (Herself), Kate Tydman (Paris Reporter), Nana Amoo-Gottfried (Accra Reporter), Eloise Barnes (Annabel)
|Written by||Frank Cottrell-Boyce|
|Directed by||Sheree Folkston|
|Produced by||Paul Frift|
While on a trip to a London museum, Clara Oswald, Danny Pink and his Coal Hill School pupils wake to find themselves in a forest that has engulfed the planet. The Twelfth Doctor must contend with the animals that roam this new habitat and the threat of a devastating solar flare.
- The TARDIS uses a female GPS-like voice to indicate that they have reached their destination.
- This episode is one example of Doctor Who (as a television show) being referenced in the show itself, with a bus in one shot advertising Series 8 of Doctor Who. A previous example would be in Remembrance of the Daleks which was set on the same day that Doctor Who premiered, with a television in the background saying "And now for a new science fiction adventure, Doc-" before cutting out. However, the advertisement is only visible for a brief second.
- The Doctor compares the solar flare to the one that hit the Bank of Karabraxos. (Time Heist)
In the future, massive solar flares would lead to the exodus of human race from Earth. (The Ark, The Ark in Space , The Beast Below; The Keep) It would also undergo a solar flare when it was relocated by the Time Lords. (The Mysterious Planet)
- The Doctor quotes Clara’s remarks about his involvement with Earth. (Kill the Moon)
- The Doctor reminds Clara that the future can be changed despite her having witnessed it alongside him. (Kill the Moon)
- The sonic screwdriver is ineffective where wood is concerned. (Silence in the Library)
- The Doctor refers to Danny as "PE". (The Caretaker, Flatline)
- Danny discovers that Clara wasn’t telling him the truth about her relationship with the Doctor. (Flatline)
- The Doctor tells Clara that the forest will be forgotten. The Seventh Doctor previously noted humanity’s "capacity for self-deception". (Remembrance of the Daleks)
- When Clara picks up Maebh’s pink phone, she is also holding her own white phone. She is holding her white phone in her left hand and Maebh’s pink phone in her right hand. Then in one shot, the pink is in her left and the white is in her right. It later returns back to normal in the following shots.